you will create this assignment following the Assignment Detail instructions below.
Review the tutorial How to Submit an Individual Project.
Read the case of Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U.S. ____(2015), and write a 4–5-page paper addressing the following:
- Summarize the plaintiffs’ arguments that their substantive due process had been violated.
- Summarize the plaintiffs’ argument that their rights to equal protection under the law had been violated.
- Explain the Court’s ruling and any prior U.S. Supreme Court cases that may have laid the foundation for this case.
- Explain what societal changes influenced the Court’s decisions from the time of the 1986 Bowers v. Hardwick, 478 U.S. 186 (1986) case, in which the Court upheld a Georgia statute that criminalized homosexual sex, to Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003), that overruled Bowers, to the 2015 Obergefell case that recognized same-sex marriage.
- Summarize why the dissenting justices disagreed with the majority opinion in Obergefell.
- Do you agree with the majority opinion or the dissenting justices? Explain why.
Oyez. (n.d.). Bowers v. Hardwick. Retrieved from https://www.oyez.org/cases/
Oyez. (n.d.). Lawrence v. Texas. Retrieved from https://www.oyez.org/cases/
Oyez. (n.d.). Obergefell v. Hodges. Retrieved from https://www.oyez.org/cases/
If you are planning to repurpose an assignment or submit one you have used before, please let your instructor know. If an instructor is not made aware of work being repurposed or reused, he or she will treat the assignment as a plagiarized task and reserves the right to post an F grade and submit a task for review to administration until proof of originality is provided. View the full AIU Policies on submitting papers.
The following are some tips if you have problems submitting your assignment:
- Resave in the proper format per the Assignment Detail instructions, and resubmit.
- Submit with a different Web browser.
- Submit from a different computer.
- Call Technical Support at 877-221-5800, Menu Option 2. They are open 24/7.
- If you are still having difficulties after trying steps 1 to 4