For this assignment, you will need to watch the film, 12 Angry Men (1957, Orion-Nova Productions). The film brings to life many of the concepts covered in class to date.
Below, please provide specific examples from the film to support your ideas/claims. Integrate at least two expert sources and be sure to include proper APA citations within your document and at the end (reference section).
Note: Most of this information can be pulled from your textbook. You may type directly into this worksheet. Each answer must be substantial and include some detail if you want to earn full credit. Be sure to define the concepts.
- Discuss patterns of persuasion, conformity, and minority influence witnessed in the film, providing specific examples.
Other social influences:
- Analyze issues of stereotypes and prejudice observed while watching the jurors deliberate. There are many to choose from!
- In psychology, heuristics are simple, efficient rules which people often use to form judgments and make decisions. They are mental shortcuts that usually involve focusing on one aspect of a complex problem and ignoring others. Determine if there was evidence of cognitive heuristics and label it (e.g. availability, false consensus, social proof). Discuss where/how it occurred.
- Interpret the catalyst of change that resulted in the outcome of the film, based on your perceptions. How does this line up with some of the research in social psychology?
- Discuss if the group in the film demonstrate group polarization. Were they at risk for groupthink? Explain: