The Nature of Technology and Technological Change
In the readings for this week you will find widely varying debates about the nature of technology and technological change, as well as the ways in which technology interacts with organizational processes. Teece, Pisano, and Shuen (1997) define dynamic capabilities as: “the firm’s ability to integrate, build, and reconfigure internal and external competences to address rapidly changing environments” (p. 516).
To prepare for this assignment, review the required readings for this week. Also review Barney (1995). Then, in a 4- to 5-page paper:
- Identify dynamic capabilities in your organization. Use Teece, Pisano, and Shuen’s paper to justify why and how these capabilities are contributing to competitive advantage and outline how they differ from “resources” as identified by Barney.
- Discuss how these capabilities can help to retain competitive advantage in the face of technological changes/disruptions.
Your paper must meet the following criteria:
- 4-5 pages in length, not counting the reference page
- Formatted according to APA style guidelines.
- Adhere to academic writing style throughout, including using third person, avoiding colloquialisms, eliminating anthropomorphic phrasing, and providing citations to give credit to sources of information. Include a reference page for citations.