Monitoring and Controlling Project Deliverables
Read the following articles:
- “Agencies Need to Improve the Implementation and Use of Earned Value Techniques to Help Manage Major System Acquisitions”.
- “Earned Value Management at NASA: An Integrated, Lightweight Solution”. Note: The article in PDF format can be found in the online course shell.
- “Integrating functional metrics, COCOMO II and earned value analysis for software projects using PMBoK”. SAC ’08: Proceedings of the 2008 ACM symposium on Applied computing, pages 820-825. Note: This article can be found in the ACM Digital Library
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- List the types of investments that may be at risk from the articles provided. Evaluate the importance of providing effective measures, as described in Table 7.1 seen below, for monitoring and controlling project deliverables.
- Explain the importance of having accurate data for performing earned value management, based on the articles provided. Provide examples on how accurate and consistent data is related to risk management and decision making within project management.
- Suggest at least two (2) best practices mentioned in the articles that should be observed for monitoring and controlling projects effectively. Determine the potential risks that are mitigated by implementing these practices.
- Describe how a template for reporting defects, shown in Table 7.19 seen below, may help project managers determine the root causes of project deliverables.
- Summarize the lessons learned that can be derived from earned value management reporting and describe how these could be applied in future projects.
- Determine the factors that contribute to implementing effective earned value management practices. Choose the single most important factor and provide an example to justify its importance in implementing earned values management.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Must have introduction and conclusion.
- Each paragraph must be labeled.
- Each paragraph must have an in text citation.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.