Managing a Telecom Project
This assignment consists of two (2) sections: a written project plan, and a Gantt chart that is created through the use of MS Project. You must submit the two (2) sections as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for. Additionally, you may create and / or assume all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
Due to your extensive ability and knowledge of project management, you have been promoted as a senior project manager for a national telecom organization. For this role, you will be responsible in managing the launch of a new telecom service that will attract new customers. This project will require:
- Updating cloud-based systems that interface with customers. This effort requires programmers to update databases and Web interfaces that will include new telecom service details.
- Performing billing configurations to financial information systems. This effort includes modifying the back-end programs that calculate billing and financial reports data and include new telecom service rates.
- Providing training on the new service for the company’s customer service staff. This effort includes developing an online training manual, conducting training for customer service staff, and updating an internal Website with a Frequently Asked Questions section for new telecom service.
Your job is to assist in the development of each described deliverable.
Your team is composed of three (3) Web-based developers, one (1) database manager, one (1) network specialist, two (2) technical trainers, and one (1) technical writer. They are devoted to operational management duties 30% of the time. One of the Web-based developers has recently joined the team and has minimal experience with configuring cloud-based systems.
The service product launch must be completed within six (6) months. Upper management is available to supply the necessary funding required to complete this project.
Section 1: Written Project Plan
- Write a ten to twelve (10-12) page paper in which you:
- Select a project management framework / methodology that could be used to develop this project and ensure that project objectives are met. Provide the rationale for your selection.
- Evaluate the possibility of using agile project management for any deliverables of the project.
- Develop a WBS that meets the project scope. Provide details at the activity level for the efforts required to achieve each deliverable. Note: WBS must be in indented format as shown in Figure 5.5B seen below.
- List all possible resources that would be required for completing this project. Assign resources to each activity. Describe each resource’s role and the level of experience each activity would require.
- Utilize estimation techniques to generate estimates of costs, resources, and durations for each activity. Determine the constraints that must be observed and the basis for each estimate.
- Determine the monitoring and control process that will be utilized for the project. Include discussion on how you would perform earned value analysis to provide details on project status. Determine the values that could be utilized to calculate planned costs, actual costs, and earned value.
- Develop a quality management plan that will minimize defects for project deliverables. Determine the frequency and metrics that will be utilized for inspections.
- Determine the techniques that could be used to enumerate the various risks that may exist within the project. Recommend risk management practices that will mitigate ongoing risks throughout the project.
- Use at least eight (8) quality resources (not textbook) in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Must have introduction and conclusion.
- Each paragraph must be labeled.
- Each paragraph must have an in text citation.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Section 2: Gantt Chart
Use Microsoft project to:
- Create a Gantt chart in which you:
- Record the data generated from the estimation process.
- Describe your assumptions and declare the dependencies for the logical succession of each activity.