Critical Planning for Project Success
Read the following articles:
- “Project Management Helps Virtualization Deliver” (attached)
- “Budgetary Black Holes” located at http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/95196/Budgetary_black_holes?taxonomyId=073
- “12 Common Project Management Mistakes – and How to Avoid Them” located at http://www.cio.com/article/717321/12_Common_Project_Management_Mistakes_and_How_to_Avoid_Them
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- List the activities that must be performed to complete the requirements definition of an IT project based on the provided articles. Compare the listed activities with the processes described in Figure 3.2 Process – flow of Requirements Engineering seen below.
- List at least three (3) issues mentioned by the articles that may occur if requirements are not properly documented. Describe how the problem categories listed in Table 3.2 in Chapter 3 of the text may help a project manager set the right expectations with various stakeholders.
- Give your opinion on whether or not it’s beneficial in terms of planning and estimation to break up projects into smaller, more manageable efforts. Support the answer with real-life examples.
- Describe how Figure 5.5A in Chapter 5 (seen below), could be used to assist the team in project planning and estimation activities.
- Review the various project management frameworks presented in Appendix 5A of the text. Suggest the framework elements that could be used to address the issues described in the third article titled “12 Common Project Management Mistakes – and How to Avoid Them”.
- Use at least four (4) quality resources (not the textbook) in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Must have introduction and conclusion.
- Each paragraph must be labeled.
- Each paragraph must have an in text citation.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.