Performance management includes a range of activities through which managers obtain information about individual performance, convey relevant information to employees, and develop strategies to help employees improve performance. Identifying the criteria used to evaluate performance is one of the most critical—and challenging—objectives that managers must address.
For this Application Assignment, you will identify criteria for a performance evaluation.
Review the Organization and Job Description (introduced in Week 4), as well as items you identified for your Week 4 Application Assignment.
Then, consider the following:
- What are the core elements of this organization that are vital for its success (e.g., providing patients with high-quality care)?
- What are the key aspects of the job?
- What employee behaviors are most important for effective job performance? How could these behaviors be reliably observed and evaluated?What outcomes would be appropriate for this position? In other words, what can and should be achieved by someone in this position?
- What sources of information might be used to evaluate this individual’s performance? For instance, should the individual complete a self-evaluation? Would a multi-source approach be beneficial in this case? How could patient surveys be utilized?
- What are the criticisms of performance evaluation? How might these criticisms be addressed for this individual’s performance evaluation?
Be sure to review the information presented in the Learning Resources, including the behaviorally anchored rating scale (BARS) and Management by Objectives (MBO)
Write a 2- to 3-page paper in which you:
- Use BARS to identify two job dimensions and construct scales to evaluate employee performance.
- Describe two or three examples of performance objectives that might be set for this job and explain how the achievement of these objectives would be assessed.
- Explain what sources of information should be considered in this individual’s performance evaluation.
- Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Essential Guide to APA Style for Walden Students to ensure that your in-text citations and reference list are correct.