Write an essay of 1,250-1,500 words that analyzes key beliefs in Hinduism by addressing the following concepts:
- Describe the three most important Hindu deities in the Trimurti (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva), their history of development, and their functions in the kalpic cycle of life.
- Briefly describe the caste system of the Dalits. Make an analysis of how the caste system might function in the life of a particular Hindu individual within one of those castes.
- Select one ancient or modern Christian community living or serving in a Hindu context from the list below. Compare the principles and practices of this Christian community with the four key Hindu beliefs and practices (all pervasive divinity, karma, reincarnation, and dharma):
- St. Thomas Church of South India
- Anglicans of South India
- Baptist churches started by William Carey
- Mother Teresa’s Sisters of Charity
- Baptists of Nagaland
- In light of Hindu beliefs, what barriers would a Hindu face when seeking to understand the gospel?
- Take into consideration the similarities and differences between the four key Hindu beliefs and Christian doctrines. Using the questions below, how would a Christian engage a follower of Hinduism with the gospel of Jesus Christ?
- Who is God?
- What is the fall of Adam?
- Who is Jesus, and how does he bring forgiveness and salvation?
As a research option, interview a practicing Hindu individual or a leader of a Hindu temple, which can be used as an academic resource. If you would like to take pictures during your visit to this community or place of worship, be sure to obtain permission.