As educators, we understand that it is important to share information with parents and families in your program. Creating strong partnerships are key, and consistent and meaningful communication is an effective way to build this partnership.
For this component of your course project, you will create a newsletter that shares both knowledge and ideas with ELL parents and families.
Your newsletter content should be a different than what was selected for your professional focus newsletter.
To complete this assignment, following the steps below.
Step 1: Choose two (2) cultural or linguistic considerations/influences that impact a child’s language and literacy acquisition in an early childhood environment and use that as the main focus of your newsletter.
Step 2: Use the Family Focus Newsletter Template or create your own using Microsoft Word or Publisher.
Your newsletter content should be different than what was selected for your professional focus newsletter.
Step 3: Include the following elements in your family focus newsletter:
- Main Feature. Create the main feature of the article noting particular cultural or linguistic influences on children’s language and literacy acquisition in early childhood settings.
- Use at least one (1) credible source, such as NAEYC, or another outside source to support your topics. Your sources can include books, journal articles, or appropriate websites.
- Implications for Teaching. Describe how the considerations/influences discussed in the Main Feature could impact English Language Learners and their families.
- Practical Activities for English Language Learners. Share two (2) examples of meaningful activities that ELL families can do with their children at home.
- Shared Experience. Share an experience relating to this topic. The experience can be personal or the experience of someone you know.
- Resources. Provide at least two (2) helpful resources you can recommend to ELL families on the topics discussed in the Main Feature.