For this journal, you will practice observing one child, while focusing on developmentally appropriateness.
First, practice observing one child by watching the following video:
Next, your journal entry should contain the following two parts:
Part One – Observational Notes
- Use observational notes in a K-W-L chart, or anecdotal notes, or a running record to document your observation. You may choose to use a combination of one or more of these methods to gather information.
Part Two – Reflection
- Reflect on what you learned from your observations and answer the following questions:
- What specific developmental information did you learn about the child selected in the video?
- How could you use this information to create learning goals for the child?
- Describe how the method(s) you selected is a developmentally appropriate practice:
- Is it authentic?
- What is the purpose?
- Does it focus only on that individual child?
- Is it objective?