Topic 4 Review
Fill in the review as you complete the assigned readings for the topic. This review will help you prepare for course discussions, assignments, and examinations. The review may be used during examinations.
For direct quotes, be sure to use proper GCU style (Author, Year, p. #). It is important to cite your sources properly to avoid intentional or unintentional plagiarism, either of which is a violation of the University Code of Conduct and may result in loss of points or other disciplinary action.
Additionally, including page numbers will allow you to locate information more quickly while you prepare for and take exams.
Encountering the New Testament: A Historical and Theological Survey
- What is the Pax Romana? How did it influence the spread of Christianity?
- Describe the three ways Hellenistic culture remained dominant in the Roman Empire:
- What is stoicism?
- What is cynicism?
- What is skepticism?
- What are the seven outcomes in the common life of the church described in Acts 2:42-47?
- Describe three occurrences of conflict between mainstream Judaism and the Jesus Movement in the first eight chapters of Acts?
- Describe why Philip, the Ethiopian Eunuch, and Cornelius are significant in terms of the spread of the gospel in Acts?
- Why was Peter’s visit to Cornelius controversial?
“Primitive Communism in Acts? Does Acts Present the Community of Goods (2:44-45; 4:32-35) as Mistaken?” from Evangelical Quarterly
- What are the five challenges scholars have raised concerning the sharing of possessions in Acts 2 and 4?
- Identify and summarize the four key texts describing the community of believers in Acts and their use of possessions.
- Summarize the two other pieces of evidence from Acts the author presents for the believers’ use of money:
- Paul’s financial independence
Elwell, W. A., & Yarbrough, R. W. (2013). Encountering the New Testament: A historical and theological survey (3rd ed.). Grand Rapids: MI. Baker Academic.
Walton, S. (2008). Primitive communism in Acts? Does Acts present the community of goods (2:44-45; 4:32-35) as mistaken? Evangelical Quarterly, 80(2), 99-111. Retrieved from https://lopes.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=rlh&AN=31240653&site=eds-live&scope=site