Assignment 2: Managing Competing Agendas
Due Week 6 and worth 180 points
Using the issue you selected from Assignment 1, write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you respond to the following questions:
- Assess the level of interdependence between planning, program evaluation, human resource management, and budgeting. Create a scenario in which you explain the overall manner in which these functions interact.
- Construct two (2) competencies that public personnel managers need to possess in order to minimize the impact of political preference in program implementation. Justify your response.
- Take a position on whether the politics of budgeting have negatively or positively impacted outcomes on budget policy and formation overall. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Analyze the main variables that impact the relationship between political responsiveness and managerial effectiveness. Propose two (2) challenges that political responsiveness may present for management (Note: You will explore your proposed challenges in depth within Assignment 3).
- Include at least four (4) academic references (no more than five  years old) from material outside the textbook and no more than one (1) governmental Website. Note: Appropriate academic resources include academic and governmental Websites, scholarly texts, and peer-reviewed articles. Wikipedia, other wikis, and any other Websites ending in anything other than “.gov” do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Assemble the concepts of planning, reengineering, implementation, and program evaluation essential to the study of public administration as it relates to political choice.
- Organize the concepts of public budgeting and policy formation essential to the study of public administration as it relates to political choice.
- Reconstruct historical trends related to public administration and its influence on managing public and nonprofit organizations.
- Organize the concepts of planning and human resource management essential to the study of public administration as it relates to political choice.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in public administration.
- Write clearly and concisely about public administration using proper writing mechanics.