Your tasks for this week are as follows:
- Finalize the topic for your paper based on the topic you selected for the Discussion Board in Unit 1 and the feedback your instructor and peers provided, or select one from the list of topics/issues below. You can select any topic you like, but you must obtain approval from your instructor first. This is to ensure that the topic is appropriate for an argumentative essay and related to an issue that will hold your interest when you return to this essay in the coming weeks.
- Review the source in the Topic Bibliography on your topic.
- Locate a similar, credible source on the issue using the AIU Library and this Internet search tool, by conducting a key word search based on your research topic. Think about the evidence you find so that you can form an opinion. Here are some additional tools to assist with your search:
- Complete the unit 2 worksheet to assist you in composing an opening paragraph for your essay (do not submit the worksheet; it is for guidance purposes only with this Submission)
- Your introduction paragraph should provide background information on your topic, the controversies or issues surrounding the topic, and how the topic is relevant or significant.
- The final sentence of the introduction paragraph should be a thesis statement that reflects the essay’s overall claim..
- Additionally, the thesis statement should include at least two reasons that support the claim
- Incorporate at least one quote or paraphrase from the sources that you assembled in Steps 2, 3, or 4. Explain the rationale for the selected quote(s) and/or paraphrases.
- Include properly formatted APA in-text citations and a corresponding Reference page for the quote and/or paraphrases used in the opening paragraph.
- The introduction paragraph should be properly formatted (double-spaced, in 12-point Times New Roman font, with proper in-text citations.